Nik’s Chicks is a FREE ladies only running/triathlon group. It is only a time and place to meet & a program to follow. I cannot join you on every run/workout. If you are new to exercising, it is advisable to have a doctor’s OK prior to beginning. Any information or products represented on this site are for educational purposes only and are not a substitute for any advice given to you by a medical, nutritional or fitness professional. Please sign my waiver (in “About”) and fill out my contact info sheet when you arrive for your first run. Please park on West Oak Trails Blvd, Nightingale or at Bloomfield Park to avoid congestion, locking beeps and car doors closing around my neighbours’ houses! We run Tuesday and Thursday evenings 8pm and Saturday mornings 8am from the corner of Westoak Trails Blvd. and Blackbird Court. Check out Weekly Workout section for specific times and distances.
Type your email address in the blank to the right and click follow to automatically receive my updates! You can also check out the Nik’s Chicks Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/132984713404930/
Quotes of the Week:
News from the “Nest”: So the new year is right around the corner. Do you do resolutions? I kind of do…I make one and typically forget about it! This year it’s going to be different. I am going to practice more Gratitude. It’s not so much a thing I have to do or a goal to attain…it’s more of a shift in mindset to be more tuned in to the world around me and to be grateful for what I have instead of longing for the things I do not. If you are interested in trying to do something similar check out the link below.
Chicago Marathon – A while back a bunch of us threw our names into the lottery for the 2019 race. I personally completely forgot about it while others thought about it more (Shelley). We we got the news this week that we all got in (EEEK) except for Lee-Ann – who has decided to join us though a charity. This, will be yet another Nik’s Chicks adventure, and one I will especially look forward to as it will be the first one after my relocation to PEI. Stay tuned for info on the fundraising campaign and training pgms – anyone wanting to do a full but not going to Chicago can train for the Scotiabank Marathon on October 20.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to my Chicks and their families! May 2019 bring you health and happiness!
A Motivational Article: It’s always good to read stories about how people make choices towards a healthier lifestyle. Here is an article which does just that.https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a25438876/david-young-weight-loss/
Gratitude: It can be defined as “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness”. If everyone practiced gratitude in their lives, what a different world we would live in! I subscribe to a weekly email from Mell Robbins, author of the “5 Second Rule” – a book I highly recommend to get you moving. This week’s email included a link to her free Mindset Reset Program which is a set of 35 videos which begin on January 1st. A workbook is sent out on Dec 27th to help you prepare. If you would like to get in on doing something to help you move towards being your best self check it out. https://melrobbins.com/mindsetreset/ Remember it’s free.
Christmas Gift Ideas 2019: Are you looking for ideas to give your spouse or family about some cool running gear? Here are a few suggestions to help them out!
1) Merino Wool Socks – I can’t say enough about merino wool socks in the winter.. I personally wear them from the beginning of pants season to shorts season (for both casual wear and running). Find a great selection at https://www.mec.ca/en/gender/women%27s/search?text=merino+wool+socks&org_text=merino+wool+socks
2) Noxgear Tracer 360 – This is a great light for visibility on dark runs. Just got mine for 39.99 so watch for a sale! https://www.noxgear.com/ Sign up for their emails to get a discount code. I have sent an email inquiry about a group discount and will let you know what I hear…
3) Shefit Bra – If you are looking for a sports bra to keep the “girls” strapped in, look no further! This bra does the trick. Three models to choose from.
4) Road ID – I have preaching about this one for years! Just get one!! https://www.roadid.com/
5) Knixwear Underwear – These panties are made from a wicking technical fabric and they make a version with an absorbent crotch – good for light period days or a little leakage! https://knix.ca/ Various styles avail.
6) Garmin Fenix 5 or Vivoactiv – Having a watch to collect your data can be a huge motivator for the techie in you. Fenix 5 comes with a big price tag! Vivoactive is worn by many Chicks and is cheaper and user friendly!
7) Great Mitts – A go-to amongst our group are these mitts from MEC. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-337/Glide-XC-Midweight-Mitts
8) Recovery Sandals – Great for sore feet following a long run! https://oofos.ca/
9) AfterShokz – Listen to music and everything around you with these Bluetooth headphones that work on bone conduction. https://aftershokz.ca/
10) A Powerful Headlamp – Check out this one available at MEC. It’s the model I have:) https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-387/ReVolt-Headlamp
Swimming: I plan on heading back to the pool starting next year on Tuesdays and Thursdays following the evening run. It’s a quick drive to Glen Abbey and their lane swimming finishes at 10pm. Bring stuff to shower and PJs to jump into! Here are the training programs we will use to have a slow and gradual 12 week plan. Swimming Lesson Plans 1-12 (1100m – 1600m) Here are some tips to efficient swimming using the Total Immersion Method Total Immersion Tips for Efficient Freestyle Swimming You can find Total Immersion Freestyle videos on YouTube – Here is Part 1. I would love to have some company – remember that it’s not an extra night out of the house, same night just longer! Let me know if you are interested and we will launch into the pool on the 8th. Joanne? Anca? You will need a Town of Oakville swim pass, goggles, swim cap, one piece suit, flip flops, water bottle, towel, lock, shower stuff and a change of clothes (jammies). Anyone else interested in swimming? Triathlon?
Winter Running: It is that time of year where you need to put a little more thought into your gear. It doesn’t mean a huge investment, but purchasing a few key pieces will keep you warm and comfortable. Here is a handout to help you get started: Advice for Winter Running Gear The word on the street is Costco has merino wool base layers avail for less than 30.00! Also, check out Mountain Equipment Co-op for some good options.
Strength Training: Ask to join the Nik’s Chicks Strength Challenge and start your 3 x week routine to supplement your running. This includes folks who have been assigned physio exercises that they aren’t doing or girls who are doing Orange Theory or F45:) Make it your ticket to compliance!! The nudging and prodding is working for me:)
Road ID: It’s a great tag to have on your shoe in the event of a medical emergency! (Just get one!!!!)
Facebook: If you are new to running with Nik’s Chicks, you may not have signed up to join our Facebook group. Ladies can chat with each other about who will be showing up for workouts or attending races and it is a place to share photos of the group. It is a closed group – invite only. Message me on FB Niki Gallant McLaughlin ahead of requesting to become part of the group please so I know you are a actual participant and local runner:) https://www.facebook.com/groups/132984713404930/
The workouts (Meet at corner of Blackbird Crt. and Westoak Trails Blvd.):
Thursday – December 13 8:00pm
Saturday – December 15 8:00am
Thursday – December 20 8:00pm
Saturday – December 22 8:00am
Thursday – December 27 8:00pm
Saturday – December 29 8:00am
Thursday – January 3 8:00pm
Saturday – January 5 8:00am
Find your happy pace! Niki