Nik’s Chicks is a FREE ladies only running/triathlon group. It is only a time and place to meet & a program to follow. I cannot join you on every run/workout. If you are new to exercising, it is advisable to have a doctor’s OK prior to beginning. Any information or products represented on this site are for educational purposes only and are not a substitute for any advice given to you by a medical, nutritional or fitness professional. Please sign my waiver (in “About”) and fill out my contact info sheet when you arrive for your first run. Please park on West Oak Trails Blvd or Nightingale to avoid the locking beeps and car doors closing around my neighbors’ houses – especially on Saturday mornings! We run Monday and Thursday evenings 8pm and Saturday mornings 8am from the corner of Redwing and Blackbird Courts.
Hey ladies! Tomorrow is the big day!! Lots of ladies coming out to begin the Learn to Run programs. Some will be away for March Break and intend on following the program on their own and will be joining us upon their return. Here is a little bit of info to prepare for Day 1:
1) Print off your program and be aware of the interval times or distances you will be covering. Sometimes the unknown can create a bit of anxiety! Learn to Run 5km Training Program (M,Th,S) 10 Km program from 5km base (M,Th,S) Sprint Triathlon June 2014 (16 week pgm)
2) Get all your gear laid out the night before so you are not searching around and trying not to wake your household in the morning! Check the weather forecast to help with your choices. (-1 feeling like -7, sun/cloud mix)
3) Set your alarm so you have time to dress, snack, drive to the start. Look at a map to find 1438 Redwing if you are unfamiliar with the Westoak Trails area.
4) Try not to run on an empty stomach. Get up early enough to have a little snack (toast or 1/2 bagel with jam) or your morning coffee. Avoid dairy as it may not sit will in your tummy, unless you are a very early riser. Drink some water as well.
5) Learn to Run 5km group will do an “out and back” route on Westoak Trails – we won’t lose anyone! The Learn to Run 10km group will be doing this 5km route:http://www.mapmyrun.com/ca/oakville-ontario/5km-west-oak-trails-the-big-block-route-5648062 There will be experienced Chicks (and Brogan) doing this route and no one will get lost. This program doesn’t have walk breaks built in – but who cares?! Take a walk break if you need one!!
6) Pop in 10-15 min early for your first run to do some paperwork. Or you can print and sign a copy of the waiver and bring it with you to your first run with us. Nicole McLaughlin Waiver and Release #2 I will also get you to fill out a contact sheet before you get started.
7) It might be chilly after the run to get a great stretch in. Check out this handout for some lower body stretches you can do at home. Lower Body Stretches
8) Don’t forget your recovery snack. Chocolate milk or soy milk are great options to replenish carbs and proteins to help repair muscles – not that the workouts will be too strenuous!!
9) Park along Westoak Trails Blvd, walk up Blackbird to my place on the corner of Blackbird and Redwing.
10) Paste a smile on your face and have fun. This group is very welcoming and NOT hard core!! You will fit in just fine!
See you in the morning! Niki