Nik’s Chicks is a FREE ladies only running/triathlon group. It is only a time and place to meet & a program to follow. I cannot join you on every run/workout. If you are new to exercising, it is advisable to have a doctor’s OK prior to beginning. Any information or products represented on this site are for educational purposes only and are not a substitute for any advice given to you by a medical, nutritional or fitness professional. Please sign my waiver (in “About”) and fill out my contact info sheet when you arrive for your first run. Please park on West Oak Trails Blvd or Nightingale to avoid the locking beeps and car doors closing around my neighbours’ houses – especially on Saturday mornings! We run Monday and Thursday evenings 8pm and Saturday mornings 8am from the corner of Redwing and Blackbird Courts. Check out Weekly Workout section for specific times.
Anyone interested in cycling tonight before the run should be ready to leave my place at 7:00pm sharp! We will do 45 minutes. Our route is similar to Saturday’s, except after the loop on Emily Dr. we will head straight back along Richview and Westoak Trails instead of heading north on Valley Ridge! (Watch the time and make judgement call) http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/417649622 Bring you running shoes (in a small backpack) to do at least 15 min of running!! You can pop your bikes inside my pool gate. Remember your helmet and sunglasses. Consider adding small flashing lights to the front and rear of your bike for greater visibility.
1) Can ride in tandem when there is a significant bike lane and not obstructing traffic. When a car is approaching from the rear, the cyclist on the left should drop back behind the cyclist on the right.
2) Ride single file when there is no dedicated bike lane. You are always riding on the right side of the road!
3) Use hand signals for turning. Left – left arm straight out to side at shoulder height. Right – Left arm at 90 degree angle at shoulder height.
4) Do a shoulder check and check your mirror (get one- see below!) before making a turn or lane change.
5) You are a vehicle. When making a left hand turn, get into the lefthand turning lane.
6) Put bike in an easy gear when approaching a stop light so getting going again is easier. Also, put one pedal in a high forward position so when you step on it you propel your self forward and don’t need to do a couple of foot pushes.
7) If you encounter glass, pothole or other obstruction on the road, point to it and call out so the rider behind you gets the message and can then pass it on as well.
8) Do a helmet check! Make sure the front sits low, just above your eyebrows. Adjust the straps on the side so the form a snug “V” just below your ear. There should be only a finger’s width of slack below your chin and no helmet movement when you shake or nod your head!
9) Practice grabbing and drinking from your water bottle and make sure you are in control of your steering when doing so.
10) Apply pressure to your brake levers gradually and primarily use the rear brake on the right hand side. Do not apply big pressure to front brakes. Unless you would like to fly over your handle bars!!
11) DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES WHEN CYCLING!! Very dangerous!
12) Be respectful to motorists. You will encounter nasty ones but refrain from taking the bait! Remember that you represent all cyclists out there.
I love this little mirror. Easy to put on and very adjustable. Available at Cyclepath for under 20.00.
You must be logged in to post a comment.